Friday, November 1, 2013

CAKE. (Hummingbird recipe):


I love cake. I cannot deny it. I love baking it, I love eating it and I love looking at it. I am so thankful I have a husband that likes it too! On the weekends I enjoy experimenting with new recipes and coming up with my own. Some are absolute disasters and others are too good for words! I won't share my disastrous cakes, but word of advice- when following old recipes circa 1950's, keep in mind that butter and flour were produced a bit different then. Try if you can to adjust accordingly!


Chocolate Espresso

Flag Cake

Oreo and Birthday Ice Cream Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Chocolate Espresso four layer cake

One of my favorite cakes for cooler fall weather is the Hummingbird Cake from Hummingbird Bakery in London. This is basically a take on carrot cake except with pineapple. For the frosting I wanted to change it up a bit and add that pineapple flavor so I added pineapple chunks and vanilla in the cream cheese frosting. Also the original recipe calls for walnuts, but I thinks it's just as delicious without.



Hummingbird Cake Recipe:

1 1/3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups sunflower oil (I use melted, salted butter)
3 peeled bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pineapple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Butter two round cake pans lined with parchment paper and lightly flour

Combine with an electric mixer:
Sugar, eggs, butter, bananas and cinnamon- beat until well incorporated
Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla, continue beating until incorporated
Stir in chopped pineapple by hand
Pour mixture into pans and smooth over with a palette knife
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
Cool the cake on a wire rack, turnover when cooled

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:

1200 g powder sugar
200 g butter at room temperature
250 g cold cream cheese (important that its cold!)
2 teaspoons vanilla 
1 cup or more of chopped pineapple

Beat powdered sugar and butter until it's well mixed (a good few minutes)
Add cream cheese and beat until it is well incorporated
Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy (about 5 minutes more)
Make sure not to over beat as it can become runny
Stir in by hand chopped pineapple

Frost the cake and enjoy with a hot cup of espresso by a glowing fire!




No comments:

Post a Comment