Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Best Coffee Cake Ever:



I love cooking and baking from the original 1950's version of Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook. The little origin stories that come along with the recipes are so great to read and we're always pleasantly surprised how such simple ingredients can create delicious dishes. Erik and I were craving coffee cake and I decided to give the Streusel Filled Coffee Cake recipe a whirl and my goodness this has got to be the most wonderful and incredibly easy coffee cake ever! Try it out and let me know what you think!

Streusel Filled Coffee Cake:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Grease and flour 9" baking pan

Mix together:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening (I use softened butter)
1 egg

Stir in:
1/2 cup milk

Sift together and stir in:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together streusel mixture in a separate bowl:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter

Spread half of batter in greased and floured pan, then sprinkle with half of streusel mixture
Add remaining batter and sprinkle on top remaining streusel
Bake 25-35 minutes until wooden toothpick comes out clean
Enjoy!

Any other awesome coffee cake recipes out there that I need to know about? :)




No comments:

Post a Comment